– Residents of Owerri and other towns in Imo state have been directed to ignore IPOB’s sit-at-home directive
– The directive was given by the state government with the assurances that the security agencies are on standby to ensure everyone is safe
– IPOB, a proscribed group in the southeast region, had declared a sit-at-home order to be observed from Saturday, May 29 to Monday, May 31
The Imo government has directed residents of the state to ignore a sit-at-home order declared by the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) scheduled to take place from Saturday, May 29 to Monday, May 31, in the southeast region.
Declan Emelumba, the commissioner for information and strategy, made this known during a press briefing on Thursday, May 27, The Nation reported.
The commissioner urged residents of the state to go about their lawful businesses without fear of molestation.
He gave assurance that adequate security arrangements had been put in place to ensure safety and freedom of movement.
Emelumba said the Imo government is determined to tackle all manner of insecurity in the state while warning that henceforth anybody caught in that kind of activities would pay dearly for his actions, Nigerian Tribune also reported.
Private, missionary schools shut
According to the newspaper, residents of Owerri, the state capital, also resorted to panic buying on Thursday, May 27, in order to prepare for the possible fallout of the order.
It was gathered that some schools were shut down till Tuesday, June 1, while others simply gave their pupils one week rest at home.
The proscribed group declared the sit-at-home order as parts of its annual remembrance day.
Reactions trail sit-at-home order
Nigerians on social media have been reacting to the unfolding development in Imo and other southeast states.
Ogunronbi Gladys Adepeju said:
“If you don’t like yourself let those children go back,but if you like yourself let those children stay at home where you can monitor them,stay at home to avoid stories that touch the heart oo…”
Alfred Godwin said:
“I said it before,it is high time the govt deploy military squads to quench this menace of this people….”
Mark Elechi said:
“Sit at home my people to avoid if I had known.”
Onye Nna Saint Onyenna said:
“For the safety of this school children let them go home oooo”
Samuel Leo Falana said:
“It’s better to be safe than sorry… since there’s a chaos looming, keep the kids safe ooo.”
Give peace a chance, Uzodinma tells Igbo youths
Meanwhile, Imo state governor, Senator Hope Uzodimma, has appealed to Igbo youths to give peace a chance in Nigeria.
The governor made the comment during his address at the National Assembly Constitutional Review Committee public hearing for Imo and Abia states, held in Owerri on Wednesday, May 26.
He urged the Igbo youths to see the ongoing public hearing for the 1999 constitutional review as a key opportunity to be duly represented and take the rightful place Igbos deserve.