– The Nigerian government has officially kicked off the second dose COVID-19 vaccination nationwide
– Vice President Professor Yemi Osinbajo becomes one of the first sets of Nigerians to receive the second jab
– President Muhammadu Buhari had earlier paved the way for government officials when he received his second jab earlier
Vice President Professor Yemi Osinbajo, SAN on Saturday, May 29 received his second dose of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine.
A terse statement by the vice president’s spokesman, Laolu Akande seen by Legit.ng, revealed that Professor Osinbajo took the shot at his official Aguda House residence in the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
The second dose is being administered exactly 12 weeks after the first shot was taken on Saturday, March 6.
VP Osinbajo was vaccinated by the chief nursing officer at the State House Clinic, Esther Tukur.
The vice president later took a group photo with the health team after the vaccination.
Legit.ng had earlier reported that President Muhammadu Buhari also received his second dose of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine on the same day.
Buhari’s innoculation was done by his chief personal physician, Dr. Suhayb Rafindadi Sanusi after which he was presented with the e-vaccination card.
Meanwhile, the federal government on Tuesday, May 25, announced that 440,000 health workers across the country have received the first dose of the Oxford-AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine.
Speaking at the media briefing attended by Legit.ng in Abuja, the executive director of the National Primary Health Care Development Agency, Dr. Faisal Shuaib said the population of the health workers vaccinated is 23 percent of Nigerians who have received the first dose.
According to Faisal, a total number of 1,929,237 Nigerians who represent 96 percent of the target population have been administered the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine.
Speaking on the completion of the COVID-19 vaccine doses, Faisal said 4,000 people have already had their second jab of the vaccines.
He also called on all those who have received their first doses to ensure they do not drop out of the process.
Recall that the federal government recently declared that some travellers are persons of interest for reportedly evading the compulsory seven-day quarantine.
The Presidential Steering Committee (PSC) on COVID-19 released the names of 90 travelers, accused of failing to observe quarantine.
The Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha, who chairs the PSC committee disclosed on Sunday, May 23, that the erring persons comprised 63 Nigerians and 27 foreigners.
Source: Legit Nigeria