– Some travellers have refused to be isolated in Lagos state
– According to the government, these travellers are from high-risk countries
– The Lagos government apealed to them to come back for isolation and testing
The Lagos state Commissioner for Health, Prof. Akin Abayomi, has raised the alarm that 119 passengers from high-risk countries have refused to be isolated after coming back into the country.
Abayomi, in a statement on Sunday appealed to the families of those who refused to be isolated to return them for testing.
He said, “Since the commencement of the new guidelines and the ban on non-Nigerians travelling from three countries (India, Brazil and Turkey) into Nigeria, Lagos State has recorded 568 in-bound passengers, who have been permitted to enter Nigeria from these three countries. We have isolated 433 passengers in our various accredited hotels and facilities; 262 are in isolation and 154 passengers have been discharged with a negative COVID-19 test. Nine have tested positive to COVID-19 and successfully isolated to prevent community transmission. Of the remaining 135 passengers, 119 have refused isolation and 16 are unaccounted for.
“The families of those that have refused to be isolated should appeal to their loved ones to return for testing and isolation.”
The Commissioner added that all passengers that had been confirmed absconders would have their passports deactivated for a minimum of one year if Nigerian; and if foreign, would have their resident permits cancelled and deported as stated by the Presidential Steering Committee on COVID-19.
Abayomi also disclosed the state government’s intention to partner the private sector and Federal Government in ramping up vaccination in the state.
He said the state government has activated an Oxygen Plant within the premises of the Infectious Diseases Hospital, Yaba, to provide swift support to COVID-19 patients who require oxygen therapy.
Legit.ng gathered that the commissioner, who activated the plant, noted that the increased demand for oxygen to treat COVID-19 patients in the second wave of the pandemic necessitated the activation of oxygen generation capacity in the state.
Legit.ng had previously reported that the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) announced that 12 people died on Friday, January 8, from COVID-19.
It was reported that the NCDC made this confirmation around midnight on Friday in a tweet on its official Twitter handle.
In the tweet, NCDC’s stats showed that Nigeria’s COVID-19 death toll rose from 1,330 on Thursday, January 7 to 1, 342 on Friday, January 8.