– Following the sit-at-home in the southeast recently, governors in the region are considering approving May 30 as Biafra day
– The sit-at-home was ordered by the Indigenous Peoples of Biafra (IPOB) to commemorate the 54th anniversary of the declaration of Biafra
– Dave Umahi, Ebonyi state governor and chairman, Southeast Governors Forum says he and his colleagues are ready to make it official
Abakaliki – The South East Governors’ Forum has said May 30 would be set aside as a day to remember millions of Igbo that lost their lives during the civil war.
This was disclosed by Ebonyi state governor, Engr Dave Umahi who also doubles as the chairman of the forum.
The governor made the comment when he was interviewed virtually by Channels Television on Tuesday, June 1.
He said there was the need to set aside a date to honour the Igbo who died during the three-year war, insisting there was nothing wrong with it, adding that if a proposal to do so comes before the southeast governors, they would give it consideration.
“People are beginning to say that even beyond the issue of sitting at home, there is a need to set aside a date to honour our brothers and sisters who died during the civil war and there is nothing wrong with doing that.
“If it comes before the southeast governors, we would give it consideration and put conditions and one of them would be that if anyone decides to do otherwise, you must allow the person to exercise his or her rights.”
Some Nigerians have been reacting to the stance on Umahi concerning the issue.
Eze Goodluck wrote on Facebook:
“I commend Umahi for thinking it wise to listen to the plight of the Igbos. Nobody has the right to deny the Igbo man the right to tell his story and let the southeast governors start being bold to request for what belongs to us and stand by it. Learn also to protect their own with one voice and unapologetically.”
Dominic C Okoye wrote:
“Good one if approved, let it be done fast.”
Omolola Gbenga Daniel wrote:
“This is a bold step. Leadership is all about respecting the wish of your people.”
Kelechi Kcee Nwafor wrote:
“Very good. You all know what to do about all these issues.”
Meanwhile, Governor Umahi says he believes those responsible for the rising security challenges in the southeast are Igbo youths.
The governor lamented that indigenes of the region, especially the young people who should protect the interest of the southeast as future leaders were the ones carrying out the attacks.
He urged leaders of the region to speak up against the attacks, saying the youths have been brainwashed.
Governor Umahi had earlier ordered the Nigeria Police Force, and other security agencies in the southeast to shoot anyone or group of persons that try to attack them or destroy their facilities in the region.
The governor gave the charge in Abakaliki while receiving the visiting Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIG) in charge of the southeast zone, DIG Joseph Egbunike.
He stated that the move is important so security operatives can protect themselves and their facilities in the region.