October 28, 2021

Deo Gratias Daily News !

Get the facts right

Former US President, Donald Trump, banned for two years by Mark Zuckerberg’s Facebook

– Donald Trump’s indefinite ban from Facebook has been reviewed by the social media’s Oversight Board

– The former United States President has now been banned for two years, with a possibility of an extension by the social media platform

– Facebook said its social media rules doesn’t permit indefinite ban, so it was necessary to review the decision made in January 2021

PAY ATTENTION: Join a community of CEOs, founders, and decision-makers: subscribe for a free monthly business newsletter Digital Talks and succeed BIG!

Facebook has changed the indefinite ban placed on former United States President, Donald Trump. The social media platform said it has no rule that support an indefinite ban.

Trump had been banned for his post on Twitter that was termed to have incited the attack on US Capitol where the United States lawmakers sit for legislative activities.

Twitter, Facebook and some social media companies banned Trump from using their platforms. In a review on the ban placed on Trump, Facebook said it has placed a definite limit to the suspension.

Read also

Stanbic IBTC founder, Atedo Peterside, criticises President Buhari over twitter ban

The firm’s Oversight Board said Trump ban will last for two years, until 2023, but when the time comes, it will sit to reevaluate the ban and decide whether to extend or end the bank.

Former US President, Donald Trump, Banned for Two Years by Mark Zuckerberg's Facebook
Former United States President, Donald Trump. Photo: James Devaney/GC Images
Source: Getty Images

Nick Clegg, Facebook’s Vice President for public affairs, said:

“At the end of this period, we will look to experts to assess whether the risk to public safety has receded. We will evaluate external factors, including instances of violence, restrictions on peaceful assembly and other markers of civil unrest.

“If we determine that there is still a serious risk to public safety, we will extend the restriction for a set period of time and continue to re-evaluate until that risk has receded.

“When the suspension is eventually lifted, there will be a strict set of rapidly escalating sanctions that will be triggered if Mr. Trump commits further violations in future, up to and including permanent removal of his pages and accounts.”

Read also

Twitter ban: APC breaks silence, reveals what Nigerian youths should do

Meanwhile, Legit.ng had reported that Stanbic IBTC founder, Atedo Peterside, condemned the ban of Twitter by President Muhammadu Buhari. The government had disconnected Nigerians from Twitter on Saturday.

Peterside said the Federal Government is fast to react when it comes to making decisions that doesn’t favour Nigerians, but slow to take actions that will help the citizens.

He said people now know the kind of President they want leading them, and will decide in the next Presidential election which is scheduled for 2023.

Source: Legit