October 16, 2021

Deo Gratias Daily News !

Get the facts right

G7 pledge to donate 1 billion COVID-19 vaccine doses to poorer countries

  • The impacts of coronavirus on the world may have informed the decision of G7 to donate 1 billion COVID-19 vaccine doses to vulnerable countries
  • The British government on Thursday, June 10, said it is committed to donating a further 95 million doses by the end of 2021
  • According to the report, advanced countries have been urged to step up their efforts to share COVID-19 shots with less-developed nations

PAY ATTENTION: Join Legit.ng Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!

The global COVID-19 vaccine manufacturing may be expanded by G7 leaders to provide at least one billion doses to the world through sharing and financing schemes.

Channels TV reports that the British government which made this known on Thursday, June 10, is hosting the big powers’ gathering in southwest England.

The British Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, said that G7 will donate vaccines to poorer countries.
G7 has promised to donate 1 Billion COVID-19 vaccine doses to the world by 2023.
Source: Facebook

Legit.ng gathered that it said it would donate at least 100 million surplus doses within the next year, including five million beginning in the coming weeks.

Read also

Okowa to FG: Re-direct fuel subsidy funds to healthcare, education

G7 committed to growing of less-developed countries

Reuters also reports that the commitment follows growing calls for richer countries to step up their efforts to share COVID-19 shots with less-developed nations, with charities warning the current situation is leading to “vaccine apartheid.”

According to the report, the Britain government which has ordered more than 400 million doses, faced criticism for failing to begin making donations to poorer countries.

The British prime minister, Boris Johnson, vowed that the delay in the distribution would be addressed on the eve of welcoming world leaders from the group of seven wealthy nations to their first summit in almost two years.

He said:

“As a result of the success of the UK’s vaccine programme we are now in a position to share some of our surplus doses with those who need them. In doing so we will take a massive step towards beating this pandemic for good.”

Read also

COVID-19: Don’t travel to Brazil, India, Turkey now, FG warns Nigerians, gives reasons

PAY ATTENTION:Get the Latest Nigerian News Anywhere 24/7. Spend less on the Internet!

WHO warns Africa on COVID-19, calls for more vaccinations

Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that the director-general of the World Health Organisation (WHO), Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, warned that the African continent has not escaped from the coronavirus pandemic.

It was reported that the WHO boss made this known on Tuesday, May 25, at the third edition of the annual UBA Africa Conversations organised to mark Africa Day.

Ghebreyesus lamented that the African continent is not doing well enough in terms of the volumes of vaccinations though he noted that 47 countries have started vaccinating.

Source: Legit