- There had been reports of an air force jet killing some wedding guests while targeting bandits in the Genu area of Niger state
- But the Nigerian Air Force has issued a statement contradicting the claims of civilian casualties in the airstrike targeted at bandits
- Many communities in Northern Nigeria have been sacked by daring bandits who seem to have turned kidnapping for ransom into a business
A report claiming that a fighter jet mistakenly bombed the venue of a wedding in Genu, a town in Rijau local government area of Niger state, has been dismissed by the Nigerian Air Force (NAF).
The spokesperson for the NAF, Edward Gabkwet, told The Cable that the airstrike was targeted at the location of bandits who were gathered in the area.
”We undertook a mission to the northern part of Genu after receiving information that scores of bandits were gathered around the area with bikes and vehicles.’’
“We found out it was very credible information, so our aircraft were dispatched to the area.”
NAF says no record of unintended casualties
Gabkwet explained that the Nigerian Air Force has no record of unintended casualties apart from the bandits.
According to The Nation, the spokesperson stated that the false report of bombing a wedding venue is an attempt to discredit the efforts of the military and other security agencies at combating banditry.
Bandits continue attacks in Kaduna state
According to the report, eight people who are mostly males were kidnapped from one residence.
Zamfara emir accused of supporting bandits
Muhammad’s suspension was approved by Governor Bello Matawalle on Saturday, June 12, PM News reported.
However, according to the state’s head of service, Alhaji Kabiru Balarabe, Governor Matawalle has already set up a committee to look into the allegations made against the monarch.