- Bandits responsible for the kidnap of a second class emir in Kaduna has apologised for abducting the monarch
- According to a relative of the emir who had interaction with the criminals, the bandits asked for forgiveness before handing him over
- Meanwhile, residents of Kajuru Emirate were said to have trooped outside to celebrate when they had the news of the release
A member of the royal house in Kajuru, who does not want his identity disclosed, has narrated the encounter with the bandits who abducted Alhaji Alhassan Adamu, the emir, on Sunday.
Barely 24 hours after he and some members of his family were kidnapped by yet-to-be-known bandits, the Emir of Kajuru in Kaduna state, Alhaji Alhassan Adamu, has regained his freedom.
The source, who was among those who picked up the emir, said the bandits asked for forgiveness before handing over the 85-year-old monarch to relatives and members of the emirate council.
The source, who was one of those who received the Sarkin Kajuru, said the bandits had called them through the emir’s phone number shortly after Asr (sunset prayer) and asked them to prepare to receive him.
He said on getting to the location, near Gengere community, three of the bandits; heavily armed and in military uniform, apologised for abducting the emir and sought forgiveness from him.
“We couldn’t believe it. We stood there looking at them while they apologised, saying they had not felt at ease since they abducted him. They told us to go with him while negotiations for the other 13 people will continue tomorrow (Tuesday),” he said.
Meanwhile, residents took to the streets on Monday to jubilate over the release of the Sarkin Kajuru.
No ransom was paid for the release of the 85-year-old second-class emir who ascended the throne as Sarkin Kajuru in 1978.
At 5:25pm when news filtered of the emir’s release, residents trooped to his residence in jubilation as many tried to get a glimpse of him.
Kidnappers abduct Emir of Kajuru Alhassan Adamu
Legit.ng reports that bandits had swooped on the Emir in the early hours of Sunday, July 11, just six days after the abduction of 121 students of Bethel Baptist school in neighbouring Chikun local government area.
According to the newspaper, a palace source confirmed his release but did not speak on whether or not any ransom was paid for the traditional ruler’s release.
It was gathered that the gunmen numbering over 200 stormed the emirate, firing gunshots, before proceeding to the Emir’s palace and taking him and 13 members of his family away.
Hours later, the bandits contacted the emirates and demanded a ransom of N200 million to facilitate the monarch’s release.
The spokesperson of the Kajuru emirate council said the bandits also gave assurances that all the victims are in good condition and were not being molested.
Kidnappers of Kaduna emir demand N200 million ransom
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that the abductors of the Emir of Kajuru, Alhaji Alhassan Adamu, demanded a ransom of N200 million.
It was reported that the emir and 12 other members of his family were abducted from his personal residence in Kajuru town in the early hours of Sunday, July 13.
According to the report, one of the emirate’s kingmakers confirmed that the bandits have reached out to them to demand N200 million.
The spokesman of the emirate council, Dahiru Abubakar, said that the bandits also assured them that all the victims are in good condition and were not being molested.
He said that the council is still appealing to the bandits to release the 85-year-old monarch and his relatives unconditionally, especially giving his fragile health condition.